The Big Dad

The Big Dad

Monday, February 2, 2009

back in the hospital

You never know what a day will bring...

Friday night, Carl got slammed with what we assumed was a bad case of the flu: fever, chills, sore bones, headache---accompanied by a strange band of sharp, stabbing pain around his right ankle area. He took a pain pill and decided to try to sleep it off. He had a rough night, to say the least. By morning, he was extremely drained and very weak but the pain in his foot was better and his temperature was lower. He spent all day Saturday sleeping. Sunday morning we thought the worst was behind him--I went to church while he continued resting at home. But by this afternoon, his right leg below the knee was blotched, mottled and angry red, so we decided to go to the LGH emergency room.

We arrived at 5:00 pm and Carl was almost immediately put on antibiotics, administered through an IV. We waited in the ER hallway for 5 hours until a room finally became available for him. We missed the entire Superbowl!

It is now past midnight on Sunday, (actually it is Monday morning) the kids and I are back home. Carl was resting fairly comfortably when we left the hospital. We find out more details tomorrow when we get the blood test results back. It is apparently some kind of infection, although I can't imagine what would have caused it nearly 6 months after his accident.

We read a verse together at our church today: "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for good and not for evil, plans to give you a future and a hope." That's what I'm holding on to tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a shock!! We will pray for you, Carl and your family. Our Great Big Wonderful God that you used to sing about with your siblings is near you!!. Your cousins, Pearl and Mel

oh joy! said...

Praying...

Hold tight!

Love you.