The Big Dad

The Big Dad

Thursday, September 4, 2008

getting ready


Thanks to Marlin, Lin, Jake and Darrell for readying our house for Carl's arrival on Saturday. These guys are great! They built ramps so Carl can manuever his wheelchair from the garage into the house and then out on to the back patio/yard. We cleared the front room of all its furniture so they could build a "runway" across the sunken space to allow Carl access to the bathroom around the corner.
My personality can tend to be bothered by changes that affect my daily life (like messing with my furniture!) Interestingly this time it doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe I'm looking at life with a new perspective, maybe I'm so relieved to be coming home that it doesn't matter, maybe it's just God's continued grace and the prayers of His people. Whatever it is, I'm grateful.
On the other hand, I feel a bit nervous about Carl coming home. Whenever I left the hospital or rehab these past 4 weeks, there was someone else on duty. Now, it feels like the responsibility lies heavily on me. For you moms, remember how it felt the day you brought your first baby home from the hospital? I remember thinking,"What in the world am I doing? I have NO idea how to do this job!"
It is good to know though that this season is just temporaray. Each day Carl is able to do something he couldn't do the day before (that's his goal!) Today he was able to lift his right leg up about an inch off the bed: hard work, but he did it. His left leg, which was not as badly injured, is progressing nicely and will likely be the one that will bear his weight first.
It sounds like Carl will be picked up at the Rehab Center at 12:00 on Saturday.
We'll be in touch with you after we are settled in at home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Home Sweet Home" There's nothing like home.
Wow Carl, you are making progress!!. I new you had it in you. You are one determined OLD Man!
Fan, I know it is normally a huge deal for you to even move one piece of furniture. But I'm sure you are more then willing.
Love you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Carl!
wow- I have been praying for you guys every day... I am so excited to see so much progress in the last couple of weeks!!! Congrats on finally making it home :) I will call you guys next week and see when is a good time to stop in and see you... and celebrations like this definitely deserve my homemade apple pie :)
love you guys so much!
-Angie

Anonymous said...

Yo Carl,
Home!?! How cool! It has been a challenging time and now the time has come to go home. Congratulations!!
Chub

oh joy! said...

My daily reading was worth sharing with you today. From God Calling, September 5:
"Progress is the Law of Heaven. Higher, ever higher, rise to Life and Beauty, Knowledge and Power. Higher and Higher. Tommorow be stronger, braver, more loving than you have been today. The Law of Progress gives a meaning, a purpose to life."

Praying for you as you prepare to return home!!!

Love you.

-LaVale

Anonymous said...

There's no place like home! Fan, don't be nervous - you're an amazing person and capable of more than what you could ever dream you are. And by the way Carl, when you get bored at home...you will have plenty of room to wheel around the office - no prep needed! We're getting anxious to have you back.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Uncle Carl, going home, oh how wonderful and what a blessing, I know that you are excited as can be, Aunt Fan, you will do great after all you have taken care of him for over 25 years and have done a terrific job. I want to call when you are home and settled a little maybe next weekend. Love you all.
you know Carl I was just thinking if you wanted some attention did you have to go this far.
Love
Judy

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Praying for both of you as Carl takes the next step in his recovery.
Coming home from full time care is a scary move - after being in the hospital for 2 months, I was excited to go home, but felt very vulnerable. My emotions were all over the page - and I could only take one moment at a time. It was tough at first, I missed the full time care of the nurses/therapists and wanted to go back in :) Thankfully my husband's 'nursing' was good and he soon made me feel safe and secure at home.
Blessings for today - you will both be exhausted from the move home, you probably need to set boundaries on the number of guests for a week or so. Our friends did that for us and it was a godsend because we were both exhausted, plus my care took long, so when I was resting, my husband needed to rest also or catch up other chores.

Anonymous said...

"We must be willing to accept the bitter truth that, in the
end, we may have to become a burden to those who love us. But
it is necessary that we face this also. The full acceptance of
our abjection and uselessness is the virtue that can make us
and others rich in the grace of God. It takes heroic charity
and humility to let others sustain us when we are absolutely
incapable of sustaining ourselves. We cannot suffer well
unless we see Christ everywhere, both in suffering and in the
charity of those who come to the aid of our affliction.
... Thomas Merton (1915-1968), No Man is an Island