There is always news to report after a visit with Carl's orthopedic surgeon.It's what makes those doctor visits both exciting and scary...
*Outpatient therapy starts on Friday. After 4 weeks of physical therapy here at the house through the Visiting Nurses Association, we will now be traveling in to Lancaster 3 times a week for Carl's therapy. It will be more aggressive and steamlined for Carl's specific needs. I will post the therapy schedule after we know more details.
*The doctor is quite pleased with the range of motion in Carl's left leg: he made it to 90 degrees yesterday--yeah! (This means that when he is sitting, his leg can bend at the knee so that his foot rests on the floor.) Although he will continue to try to loosen that leg, it is considered functional at 90 degrees. Only 4 more weeks till that leg can bear weight! Carl is so excited for the prospect of crutches instead of a wheelchair.
*Next week Carl is scheduled for an evaluation of the peroneal nerve injury in his right foot. Basically it will be a nerve conduction study where they will now be able to see what kind of damage actually occured in that foot due to lack of blood flow in the hours after the accident.The doctor is also becoming more open to giving Carl some type of medication to still the constant prickling, tingling, stinging sensation in that foot. Possibly we can start that next week. (His only concern is that this medication has been known to slow bone re-growth and we sure don't want that!)
*The bones in Carl's right leg need to fuse better so the doctor ordered a device to stimulate bone growth. It is something Carl will wear 24 hours a day for 6 weeks before they can tell if it is effective. That's all I know about this for now--I'll update when I learn more.
I can hardly believe that tomorrow it is 9 weeks since the accident happened. Because we can get him in and out of the van with no problem, Carl is anxious to move forward to this next step in his recovery. Thank you for being so faithful in praying for his TOTAL and COMPLETE healing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
yay how exciting! I'm so happy to hear that everything is going well :) way to bend your leg Uncle Carl! Man I can't wait to see ya'll at Christmas!!!
~Lindsay
Carl,
I was thinking and praying for you this morning. Mom was saying this morning only 4 more weeks till crutches!! Cool!
Fan, Thanks for the reports.
Good news keeps happening. God Bless
Chub
Carl - It's great to read the progress you are making! The positive attitude you have is something we all can learn from!
I have health issues, but when I read what you're going through and your progress - wow, it put things in perspective. You have been inspiring to me, and I'm sure others as well. Keep up the good work! Sharon - CLW
Carl & Fan, thanks for the posts, still reading, still think of and pray for you's OFTEN, still wanting to get down and see you. . .blessings, sharon stoltzfus
Post a Comment