The Big Dad

The Big Dad

Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009

In January of 2008 I wrote this quote by Joni Eareckson Tada in my journal: "Faith isn't the ability to believe long and far into the misty future. It's simply taking God at His word and taking the next step."

This January I feel more fragile, more broken, more prone to anxious thoughts than when I wrote those words one year ago. If I was comparing to what I was like in the past, I would quickly admit that I have gone backward in my confidence level. I think Carl would say he feels the same way.

One thing we do know: It is in our greatest weakness that we reach deep for an inner strength, something that is much bigger than ourselves. Our faith reassures us that when we call on God, He bends down His ear to listen as a Father bends down to listen to His little child. And just because I can not always FEEL Him, does not for one second mean He is not there.

Yesterday we went to a great little store on Fruitville Pike called Foot Solutions. They specialize in custom-fitting people with shoes that will meet their individual needs. Carl's right foot is swollen and very sensitive so he has to wear a different shoe size---we were not looking forward to buying two pairs of shoes for every pair he needed! The folks there were so helpful and spent nearly two hours with us to figure out what will work for Carl.

When we left the store, Carl said, "Someday I WILL walk out on to the street and no one will be able to tell that I was hurt."

Here we come, 2009!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you brought tears to my eyes. it is so true, just because we don't feel god certainly doesn't mean he isn't there.
he is there for you and carl!!!
like i once heard before, in our deepest pain we are so numb we can't feel god no matter how hard we try, but he is there!!!

strength to you!!

oh joy! said...

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

2 Corinthians 12:9

The world (and our own heads for that matter) says that weakness is a failure, a defect, a handicap. God says weakness is a gateway to all the strength we will ever need, and more. The grace is all ours. The power is all His.

It was so good to see you out and about on Thursday. I am in total agreement with you that one day you will walk without a limp.

Love and peace to you both!!

Joy LaVale

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Carl - walking so no one knows you were hurt is possible! With God's healing, the skills of doctors and your determination, you'll go far.

I thank God for a walking and running miracle ... see www.janetober.com

Anonymous said...

oh Fan, I am with you. Most people think that hard times make one stronger but I feel like the opposite is true. I feel weaker and more prone to tears and discouragement than before 'the deep waters' came. The only consolation I can come up with is that when I am weak than HE is strong. Love and courage to you both.