The Big Dad

The Big Dad

Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 17

Carl's surgery is scheduled for tomorrow at 12:00 and is expected to take about 2 1/2 hours. They hope to do all the necessary bone repair on his left leg and change the dressing on the right leg at the same time. (He still has the opening in his right leg to help with swelling.) I'm glad they did the worst leg first so it makes this one seem easier.

I also know that we need to adjust our expectations for the next few days to allow "2 steps forward, 1 step back" after the surgery. The pain is subsiding a bit in the right leg--just in time for the left to get the brunt tomorrow. Please pray that his pain will not be as intense as after the previous operation.

Although still groggy from 10 days on heavy morphine, Carl seemed to feel better today. My brother-in-law Marlin was here at the hospital with him for awhile this morning before the kids and I came in, and they had some comfortable conversation as Carl was more alert for a few hours. I look forward to when he does not need to fight the medicine to have a conversation and it will become easier to process his thoughts. That said, he does a pretty amazing job even with the meds!

Physical therapy today involved getting him out of the bed and into the wheelchair like before, but this time they had him wheel himself out of the room and back. He has been sleeping for hours since that excursion (without hiccups, I might add!)

My mom brought her famous Pot Roast "Sunday Dinner" to the hospital for us today. It tasted beyond-delicious and Carl ate more in one serving than he has any other meal in the past 10 days. Thank you Mom and Janet, what a treat to taste home-cooked food!
The younger 3 children have all gone their separate ways this afternoon, Mandi and I are napping here in the room with Carl. For the moment, our life outside these walls has become simple, uncluttered, there is no sense of "busy-ness" or "to-do" lists. I know that we have many decisions to make in the days ahead, regarding schedules, business, rehab,etc, but for now we rest.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fan,
We continue to appreciate your thorough updates on Carl's progress. It makes us feel such a part of the journey. I thought of you today in Sunday School when we studied 1 Peter 1 ,especially verses 1-6. I think thee are these same verses that Tessa wrote on the blog earlier this week. We continue to pray for you and the family, and will especially pray for Carl's surgery tommorrow. You are an amazing family. Your strength and faith are an inspiration to us all.
Love, Sharon

The lady of the house... said...

Hello all, I hope to be in sometime tomorrow if I can find a sitter for the boys.

We all came in before church this morning, (the boys in their matching shirts which Carl thought was neat).

It was so great to have a few minutes of "normal" conversation besides the hiccups here and there! Tyler wasn't so sure at first seeing Uncle Carl in bed, but soon he got to talking about bringing him a Thomas bandaid.

We joked with him that it's "pay back time" for Marlin and that he is his little servant and just might have to give him a sponge bath! We all had a good laugh about that one!

Carl is doing so well and truly seems to be embracing where he's at in this moment, in this day!

We're in this together!
I love you!
Janelle and her boys!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fan, We will be praying for a successful surgery tomorrow! We missed you at our party in the meadow last night. I'm still so sad that you and Carl were not able to be here and sing for us. You were MISSED by everyone! Thanks for the updates. I look for it every day. Tell Carl we will be in to visit as soon as he is up to it.
Love, Vern Smoker

Anonymous said...

Hi Fan,
We left for vacation to Canada on Aug 7 and, without email or cell phones, just found out late last night about Carl's accident. Sounds like your family has been through a lot, yet with much to be grateful for as well. I'll be remembering you and Carl, especially tomorrow with another surgery. Sending prayers on your behalf,
Kathy Keener Shantz

Anonymous said...

We are a praying that the surgery is successful and that his pain will be short-lived... we are also praying for your strength and wisdom through this week as decisions are to be made about the "outside world".
Love, Aaron and Jess and Kids

Anonymous said...

Good to hear Carl is feeling a bit better just in time to endure another surgery. There hasn't been a day go by that I haven't thought about you all and I pray for that you will feel God's love even when life seems hard. Hope and pray that Carl's surgery goes well today.
God bless you all, Gordie

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Fan:
We have been praying, praying, praying and will continue to do so. Janet gave me your blog address and today is the first I've had a chance to read it-(have been moving girls to their respective colleges the past week)!

Hope to stop by soon. Know that you and your family are loved.

p.s. Carson gave Ash & Krissy an update when he was over on Thurs. pm.

Hang in their girlfriend...we are with you. ~Naomi

Shar said...

Always thinking of you all and always praying...one day at a time! Know that we love you guys so much! Shar and gang