The Big Dad

The Big Dad

Friday, August 8, 2008

Fan's Update

I went by the scene of the accident early this morning on my way home from the hospital. I was overwhelmed with thankfulness to God for sparing my husband's life. And after hearing the doctor say that the severity of this type of injury has a 50% chance of amputation, I am so grateful that his leg has been spared. It's good to see the skin on his feet turn pink again!

Today was supposed to be our first day of family vacation at the beach. I am sad that we are not able to go but I am learning very quickly that it's pretty much a matter of perspective. Because of vacation, no one in our family has any plans for the next 5 days! God has been faithful in allowing our schedules to be so open that we don't need to worry about our work and sports, at least for now.

Another wonderful gift is that Carl has no injuries to his head. He tells everyone who comes to visit, "I am perfect from the waist up!" He asks the doctors very logical, thought-through questions, almost as if he is asking them for one of us instead of for himself. Several times today I thought, "Now why didn't I think of that?!" I can tell that his determination and tenacious spirit has not been injured!

That said, it is so difficult to see him in this much pain. Please pray that he will be able to fight any infection and that he will recover quickly. Our pastor gave us this verse from the Bible today and we are believing it for Carl. "Then your light will break forth like the morning, your healing will spring forth speedily and your righteousness will go before you, the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard."

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your care, concern and prayers. It is almost impossible to describe to you how much it all means to us. In spite of this most dificult time, we are very blessed indeed!

Fan

8 comments:

Ivan & Lill King said...

Good Evening Smuckers
Thanks for the updates! We are praying for you all. We trust that Carl will recover quickly. Fan, our ladies group would like to bring meals when you are ready for some. We care about you and will do anything we can to help you during this time.
Love & Prayers
Ivan & Lill & Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Carl-
ehem..

WOW! I was so shocked to hear about your accident. i was very releaved to hear that, despite a long recovery, you'de be ok. im glad i got to see you on the monday before the accident at dougs game. you gave me a big hug! i'll be in to visit soon before i leave for texas next friday. i trust you'll still be in the hospital by then!

im praying for you!
love you.
~Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Greetings Smucker family,
I just heard via my sister about your accident. Nothing substitutes for seeing you in person - sorry I can't stop by for a visit. I hope your pain will be relieved when the swelling goes down and you will be smiling again. Just to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family and wish you a speedy recovery.

Kind regards from the UK,

Leon Beachy

ps. You are blessed with a great family!

Unknown said...

Mulibwanji all the way from Zambia!!

I praise God that we are still over here and can gather our Zambian staff together to lift you up to our Father in Heaven and fight this battle on your behalf in prayer...y'all know how incredibly passionate and faith-filled these Zambians are! You'll be healed in no time!! :)

Please know that we all miss and love you so much and are SO grateful to our Savior that you are still here...surely God still has alot more work for you to carry out here on this earth, Carl...stay strong in the Lord, for HE will be your ever-present help in this time of need. :)

Love, Hugs, Blessings & Prayers,
Holly, Susan & Greer

"The Lord Is My Shepherd!" ><+> Psalm 23 ><+>

Anonymous said...

Dear Carl, Fan and kids,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all as you go through this new challenge. It was so fun to see you the other Saturday night and we were excited to see you having fun on your new cycle. Who would have thought that this would be the outcome. Were so thankful that God spared you and will be following you on this journey through your blog. We love you!

Karel, Mandi, Dan and Leanne

Anonymous said...

Hey Cousin....
You are a blessed man. Because of your determination and your love for life, you will recover quickly. Maybe not as "quickly" as you would like, but you have so many wonderful, loving, caring family and friends around you and that alone brings light and life to this very challenging experience. We love you....we love being around you....we love your insight and wisdom you carry with you and you are such a wonderful man of God. Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carl,
The comment that says, "Hey Cousin" was us...Clair and Orpha Hostetter. I thought there would be a space later for the name. Just so you know!

Wayne Stoltzfus said...

Hi,guys
We,re so sorry to hear about Carl
and the accident.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
We,re believing for a complete and
speedy recovery.
Love,
Wayne,Karen & Family