My mom encouraged me with these words from Elizabeth Elliott:
"The life of faith is lived one day at a time. And it has to be lived...not always looked forward to as though the "real" living were around the next corner. It is TODAY for which we are responsible. God still owns tomorrow!"
I am living a totally different life than the one I lived eight days ago. If you have ever traveled abroad, you know that feeling of going up in an airplane, sometime later landing in an airport somewhere, getting on another plane and repeating the process until you arrive at your final destination. It's sort of a "mode" you get into and you lose all sense of time and normal perspective. That's how this feels....like a very long journey, and I don't have a sense for when I'll get to the end of it.
Even though I would not have chosen this, it IS my life for right now and I want to live it well. I do not want to waste my suffering, but instead learn what I can so that I can become a stronger, better person. With all my heart (not always my feelings though) I know that God makes no mistakes and He has a plan and purpose for everything that happens in my life.
I am very grateful that my temperament/personality does well with routine and so far, being in the hospital all day every day has not been too bad. I also love my morning time alone here at the house before I head in to LGH, it's been so beautiful outside and I like to tinker in my gardens to re-juvenate for the day ahead. Sometimes the nights are hard. I really miss my husband's presence.
On my kitchen window sill is a plaque that reads: "All I have needed Thy hand hath provided: Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me." I am resting in that promise today.
Fan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Fan,
I can totally relate with what you are thinking. One day we will understand why God allows these sort of things. When we get to heaven we will see the whole picture and every thing will make sense.
I pray for you and your family often throughout my day. Give Carl a big hug for me and may he feel God's presence today.
Love you guys, Gordie
Fan,
I was woking outside in my gardens this morning as well.I thought of you and breathed A prayer that God would feel really close to you today.The plants you gave me this spring are doing great.The dasies are outside my kitchen window so I really think of you often.
Love You, Katie Stoltzfus
Carl and Fan,
Here's a favorite quote of mine to add to "thoughts to ponder" :)
"And so, what seems a hindrance has become a way, what seems an obstacle has become a door, what seems a misfit has become a cornerstone. Jesus changes our hurting from a random series of incidents and accidents into a constant opportunity for a change of heart." - Henry Nouwen
Sorry I missed you yesterday morning, Fan. I was in early to be with a patient pre-surgery. Love and continued prayers!! Dawn
Post a Comment