The Big Dad

The Big Dad

Saturday, August 23, 2008

treasures in the darkness

It is Saturday. Earlier today I was wondering what I would be doing on a "normal" weekend in August...maybe outside in my gardens or grocery shopping or cleaning my house. Carl would probably be mowing the lawn or working on a project around the house.

Amazingly, although I would never have chosen for this accident to happen, I feel at peace today with where I am in real life: Room 4629 in the General Hospital. Those other things will get done in time and at least for right now, I don't feel a need to fight the sitution I find myself in.

It is such a blessing to be able to have easy, quiet conversation with Carl while we are together here. Both of us see this experience as a "watershed", a turning point, an opportunity to re-evaluate everything in our lives. There is nothing like a close encounter with death to put life in perspective.

I read a verse in Isaiah 45: 3 that says, "I (God) will give you treasures hidden in the darkness--secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, the One who calls you by name." Apparently some things in life can only be discovered in the darkness. Both Carl and I want to dig for whatever those secret treasures or life lessons are.The God of the Universe calls us by name! He wants to show us things we could never have learned any other way.

Pray that we will continue to lean heavily on Jesus. Next week will start rehab, and with that move comes more change and some very hard work for Carl. Our two youngest children start school on Monday (Tessa is a senior at Pequea Valley, Christy is a freshman at Living Word Academy) so we will be juggling schedules, sports events, transportation, etc.

-Fan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fan, you have blessed and encouraged me so much.....it is so evident that God is faithfully and steadfastly equipping you for "this time"!! I am going to look that verse up in the Bible, study and underline it.....what a precious, precious truth. One that can be shared with confidence the world around. Thanks, and we continue to pray and care about you guys so much.....see ya soon, Karen

Jena said...

Fan-
I read your post with eagerness as I see God so heavily on you- thank you for speaking truth! We continue to pray for you guys.
Jena(Janelle's friend)

oh joy! said...

They got it right when grace became commonly known as amazing. How sweet the sound!

Love you guys.

-Lavale

p.s. I received your message and will e-mail you shortly. I am not set on selling my car at this point, but i have been praying/thinking about it. Maybe your inquiry is a clue! :)

Anonymous said...

Fan, I'm remembering some of the words to the song I was telling you about today....I sang this song in church today as a prayer over you and Carl...."When the oceans rise and thunder roars, I will soar with you above the storm, Father you are King over the flood, I will be still, knowing YOU are GOD!" I see God's perfect faithfulness over your lives and I sense His peace over your "storm".
Twila