Frederick Buechner wrote: "A good sleep is grace, and so are good dreams. Most tears are grace. The smell of rain is grace and somebody loving you is grace."
I have experienced grace today. I was not able to sleep the first night here in the hospital so last night Mandi offered to stay here with her dad and I went home to sleep. I woke up refreshed this morning. I also had a good cry, and that is very healing for me emotionally. I want to be strong for my husband and my family but I also realize that it's OK to let myself grieve and feel sadness about our situation.
I believe that Carl is going to fully recover and that it will happen more quickly than the doctors expect. People all over the world are praying for him, and I know we will see some really good things happen as a result. We received word today from Africa that the wonderful Zambian people our family met on our missions trip in June are praying for Carl. Believe me, when those people pray, Heaven hears!
Good news: Carl will be moved out of the trauma unit tonight! We are happy about that because it means that while there is still a long road ahead, his life-altering injuries have been stabilized. He's gonna make it! He will be going one floor down to the orthopedic floor, same side of the hospital. (4 Lime Right)
Thanks to all the people who stopped by today, for the stromboli dinner from Will, the $ for food from Galen, the flowers and notes and e-mails and voice messages, the pillow from Anne, the hugs and words of encouragement, so many blessings!
Please pray specifically that we (especially me!) will be able to take life one day at a time. Like Carl's brother Jake says, "Inch by inch, life's a cinch, yard by yard, life is hard." I want to learn to get up each morning and know that I can do THIS day well and not focus on the unknown future ahead of us.
Fan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Fan,Mandi, Carson, Tessa and Kristy....what an amazing support system Carl has in place in you guys....we continue to pray often and fervently for you all....thanks so much for taking the time to blog...already I can see the gift of writing coming through strong and clear....God is glorified in the midst of tragedy and disappointment....Love much, Ken and Karen
Smucker Family
Thank God, Carl is going to be ok. We are praying for all of you.
Carl, you are blessed with a wonderful wife, special kids and lots of friends.
Fan, take a day at a time, believe me it helps, it hard at times. With Gods grace you will make it. Many people will want to do great things for you, let them be a blessing. You and Carl have blessed many folks too :)
Mandi, Carson, Tessa and Kristy, your dad is a fighter! Thank you for your updates on the blog, Gordie & I are going to visit on Sunday. Love you all
Emy & Gordie
Fan,
Glad to hear Carl is being moved out of trauma. The ladies met at Mim's tonight and we missed you but are all praying for you and your family. I live so close to your home, please call me if you ever need me to stop in and check on anything or do somthing for you. I also want to cordinate meals for you and have some offers for as soon as you could use them so please let me know how I can help.
Lisa Smucker
Fan, I can't tell you how encouraged I am by the way you've handled all of this thusfar. Not just you, but the whole family. I have yet to hear a negative thing to come out of anyones mouth, and that says so much about your family. Keep your trust in God, just as you are, and the blessings will come. I'll be praying for you, and in to see you all soon.
--mitch
Love you, sister and hurt with you. Praying for strength for the day for you and Carl and the kids.
" Lord, you've shown me TIME and AGAIN how FAITHFUL You are. I will CLING."
Von
Post a Comment